Sunday, December 16, 2007

Cinderella Movie

I'm watching Cinderella Man on TNT. Jimmy Braddock just knocked out Corn Griffin. I've only seen this movie 5 times and I still got a tear in my eye.

I wonder what will happen when he fights Max Baer.

UPDATE: Russell Crowe is great. But it's Paul Giamatti as his manager who steals every scene he's in.

UPDATE II: Jimmy begs Mae to let him take another fight. "There's still some juice in these legs, and I can still take a few. Baby, please. Just let me take them in the ring. At least I know who's hitting me. ...

UPDATE III: Giamatti (Gould): "Let go of the punches. Hit 'em. He ain't going to like it."

UPDATE IV: Reporter: Bob Johnson, Boston Globe. Two days ago, we ran a story about you giving your relief money back. Can you tell our readers why?
Jim Braddock: I believe we live in a great country, a country that's great enough to help a man financially when he's in trouble. But lately, I've had some good fortune, and I'm back in the black. And I just thought I should return it.

UPDATE V: He's about to go into the ring against Baer who has killed two men. Says a reluctantly supportive Mae: "You just remember who you are."

UPDATE VI: The kids are listening to the fight. Mae catches them. "Please Ma?"

UPDATE VII: The commercials are coming fast and furious now

UPDATE VIII: Gould: Get in there! And BURY 'EM!

UPDATE IX: BRADDOCK, BRADDOCK, BRADDOCK!

UPDATE X: Hey, This is your night. It's the last round Jimmy. There ain't no more!

UPDATE XI: STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM HIM!

UPDATE XII: They're rushing the ring. "Braddock lands a crushing right."

UPDATE XIII: "This the finish. Both fighters are tired..."

UPDATE XIV: "There's the bell. This fight is over. UNBELIEVABLE!"

UPDATE XV: "It's unanimious. Winner and the NEW World Heavyweight Champion..."

UPDATE XVI: Title card: Two years later Jim Braddock put his title on the line against Joe Louis. Jim knocked him down in the first round though Louis went on to win the bout. Joe Louis would always call Jim Braddock the most courageous man he ever fought.
Title card: Jim served honorably in World War II.
Title card: He later owned and operated heavy equipment on the same docks where he labored during the Great Depression.
Title card: In the early 1960's he helped build the Verrazano Bridge.
Title card: Jim and Mae bought a house in New Jersey with the winnings from the Baer fight. They raised their children in that house and lived there for the rest of their lives.

THE END

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caught the movie yesterday (again) during the Russel Crowe triple play.
I thought it was for us ladies.

You have to wonder if Max Baer ever anticipated his son would grow up to be Jethro Bodine.

December 16, 2007 at 5:08 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great movie. In my opinion, the best boxing movie ever. Not a fan of Raging Bull, and this is better than Rocky. You're right about Paul Giamatti. He's great in everything. He was awesome in Private Parts.

December 16, 2007 at 5:51 PM 
Blogger Spencerblog said...

Even better in "American Splendor"

December 17, 2007 at 8:38 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, American Splendor was great too. I love the scene where Paul Giammati (as himself) is watching the real Harvey Pekar and real Toby talking.

December 18, 2007 at 12:08 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home