Friday, April 10, 2009

High School Busybodyism

My print column on high school homophobia tests is up.

UPDATE:

Would I let a gay person babysit my kids? Sure. I know several gay people who I would trust with my children's lives.

Is it any business of any public school district to ask this question of teenagers? I say "No" and I say why.

(Read more about this on Spencerblog post "The Tyranny of Liberalism I and II." And check the comments section for react. Welcome to the culture war. The left is winning it.)

UPDATE: At least some left-leaning Democrats get it. As this e-mail proves.
To: gspencer@delcotimes.com
Subject: Attitudes on gays

It's the left-leaning centrist democrat from Secane again. You'd think this stuff would be common sense. It is not the school's job to teach the kids their attitudes toward someone who's different, just that being mean to them because of it is wrong. Your exposure to a gay person or lack thereof, is a personal choice. This is something that is exclusively the parents right to teach, and responsibility for that matter. I really don't need a teacher being the thought police for my kids. I encourage them to think for themselves, and I would like them to continue to do so without fear of reprisal. I don't think that people should make those kind of decisions based on someone else's subjective standard. Maybe you could tell your daughter and her teacher that their mind-reading skills aren't as good as they think, and these people have valid reasons for their feelings. Valid or not, they have a right to them.


UPDATE II: And this from reader Minky Phillippe
Mr. Spencer:
What has always surprised me is the nonchalant attitude the
media has had for political correctness.
Political correctness is nothing more than, selective censorship
brought about through coercion.
One would think that those who have an investment in free speech,
would defend it vigorously but the media has instead adopted political correctness.
What has happened to our guardians who are protected by the very
amendment they choose to ignore and/or
defend?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH I so agree with you. I can't tell you how many times I've been angered by my children's teachers and their opinions. Keep it to yourself as well as your sexuality.

April 10, 2009 at 8:06 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home