Thursday, April 8, 2010

Don't Worry Your Pretty Little Head

Referring to the HCR bill, Nancy Pelosi says:I
t’s like the back of the refrigerator. You see all these wires and the rest. All you need to know is, you open the door. The light goes on.
One woman takes offense.
I don’t mean to be anti-female, but Pelosi’s suggestion strikes me as something only a woman could have come up with. I have that attitude myself to most mechanical and/or electrical gadgetry and appliances, including computers: don’t tell me how it works, just make it work.

But for a supposed servant of the people to use such a metaphor to refer to a bill that affects us all in such important ways is outrageously and offensively paternalistic (or should I say “maternalistic?”) and flies in the face of what the relationship between the citizens and Congress in this country is meant to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home