Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Racial Sense and the Census

On his census form, President Obama declared himself "Black, African Am. or Negro." He could have gone with "multi-racial" but choose not too.

Let's see his father was black and his mother was white. That would make him bi-racial, right?

But then, his father was African and his mother was American. That would make him one of the few truly African-American people in this country.

According to the president, as an adult he has always "self-identified" as a member of the African-American community, even though he was raised by a white mother and her white parents. That's cool.

Disgraced white college professor Ward Churchill self-identified as being a member of the Native-American community, even though he didn't have a drop of Indian blood in his body. That's cool too.

On our census form, I was going to identify myself as Na'vi but my wife got to it first. She refused to answer any questions about her own race but I think she put me down as a "white oppressor/jackass."

I'll cop to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home