Friday, September 24, 2010

The Fat Man Sings

Fresh off his appearance in Delaware County, Gov. Meat Loaf appears in California to stump for Meg Whitman. And when a heckler attempts to give his two cents, the Guv lets the "divider" have it.



Incidentally, after my Wednesday column, in which I wrote what I thought were flattering things about Gov. Christie but made note of his being rotund, I got an e-mail from someone named Charles P. Sexton, who complained I was not respectful enough of the New Jersey governor.

"You are the last guy I ever expected make fun of a person because they may have a personal problem such as weight control."

I wrote this man back and asked he if he has the personal problem of being "out of his mind?"

During Christie's campaign for governor, his opponent Jon Corzine ran ads seeming to attack him for being fat. Christie went on Imus and made fun of himself and his corpulence. Corzine ended up looking ridiculous for bringing it up.

Christie is now the antithesis of the cute, blow-dried, sleek and smooth talking pol, which makes him a breath of fresh air to a lot of voters. He is direct, blunt, and built like a an defensive lineman. That, by the way, is how he comes at his opponents. Good for him.

In writing back to this Sexton fellow, who - I believe - once had something to do with Delaware County politics, I suggested he read the column again and to stop being so sensitive (or pretending to be).

In reply, he admitted he'd never heard of Meat Loaf (shame on him) and that he still loved me. What could I say to that, but my standard: "I love you too, sweetie."

God, help me.

UPDATE: He also invited me to lunch, which reminded me of this scene from Albert Brooks' "Lost in America." (Stay with it for the pay off at the end).



(Spoiler Alert: "Don't have lunch with this man. Be very careful. He'll want to take you to lunch. Don't do it. He'll tell you all about the future, how good the future is going to be here. I've seen the future. It's a bald-headed man from New York.")

I've seen the future too. It's a fat man from New Jersey.