Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pre-Holiday Ruminations

Reforming the LCB, nasty but empty criticism from an epidemiologist, and the wisdom of the American people. My print column is up.

UPDATE: Here is a copy of an email I sent to Dr. Elizabeth Dufort, who is mentioned in the second item of today's column
Dr. Dufort,

I have twice tried to reach you and have left messages in an effort to accept your offer to personally educate me about how HIV is and is not spread. I would also like to know exactly where you believe I went "scientifically" and "ethically" wrong in my article.

For the third time, I can be reached at...

I did respond to your email as best I could in today's Daily Times. You can find my response here.

Read down to the second item.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon. You did, after all, declare it you "duty" to educate ill-informed people like myself. Please do not shirk it.

Sincerely,
Gil Spencer
Here is Dr. Dufort's email in its entirety:
Mr. Spencer,

Sadly I found your article as the first google search result regarding the recent discrimination case of a young boy being refused admission to a boarding school, not based on his credentials, but rather his HIV status.

Mr. Spencer,
(As you stated in your article, I don’t say Dr. Spencer, as you have no reported credentials in the field of infectious diseases, public health or HIV).
My name is Dr. Elizabeth Dufort. I AM an expert in infectious diseases, children with infectious diseases, and HIV.

I CAN speak to the comments made by Caplan and other ‘non-experts’ in the mentioned ABC news article.
They are not only just, but scientifically correct.

I lament the fact that you are ignorant in your position and I lament the fact that the Delaware County Daily Times editor opted to publish an article written by someone who is exactly as you state-“not a medical doctor, let alone an epidemiologist”.

I am glad to hear that you would have allowed the entrance of this child into your school, however, your egocentric reasoning for that decision and the rest of your unethical and non-scientifically valid article truly obviates this one just action you might have taken.

I would be happy to have a conference call educating you and any other individuals on HIV. I feel this is my duty, as I imagine not only the suffering of this one boy from this discrimination, but also I imagine my patients reading your article and suffering for fear and discrimination. This is a sad day to realize this. I also worry about the children in your school (and the children at Milton Hershey). It is a sad day for them to learn (or not learn) about ethics, science, medicine, or public health from a school director such as yourself and the Milton Hershey head of school.

I hope that this response (and the many others, I imagine you will receive), will prompt an educational initiative at your schools in ethics, HIV education, and discrimination (in it’s many forms and it’s basis). As an educator, it would be a laudable, and maybe the only redeeming action at this point. In addition, of course, to an apology to this boy and all the others and in general for speaking to a subject of which you are ignorant.

I am ‘cc’ing the Delaware County Daily Times editor/publisher/online editor, as well as other potentially interested individuals.

Regards,

Dr. Elizabeth Dufort

Elizabeth Dufort, MD
Assistant Professor
Albany Medical College/Albany Medical Center
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases
UPDATE: Finally, a response from Dr. Dufort:
Gil,

Not shirking at all.
I would be happy to talk, however, I am a busy clinician and have been particularly busy this week (as it is my week on inpatient service in the hospital). My patients are ill and require evaluation and management that day and it has been a busy week.

I will call as soon as I have the chance.

Regards and thanks for the response. I will read your article response today when I have a minute.

Liz Dufort
I shall look forward to speaking with her at her convenience.

UPDATE: My email back to Dufort:
Liz,

Glad to hear it and thanks. As I mentioned in today's column, you are doing God's work in helping sick kids to get well, so respond at your convenience.

Also, if it is easier, feel free to email any specific objections to what I asserted in any of my three columns about this matter, as far as HIV risk is concerned. And why you think MHS is ethically and scientifically wrong to be concerned about the potential for an HIV-positive student to infect others, specifically through consensual sex.

Cheers,
Gil