Friday, March 30, 2012

Beneath Contempt

Lest anyone think that Spencerblog only picks on liberal conclusion-jumpers in the Trayvon Martin case, check out this disgraceful comment from MSNBC's resident Republican Joe Scarborough:
"Well, what we don't understand -- I think I agree with -- I think some of us don't understand this... Like why is it that some on the right are actually taking this up as a cause when as the National Review said almost immediately after it happened, 'This has nothing to do with gun rights. This has nothing to do with the Second Amendment. This has nothing to do with Stand Your Ground laws. This has nothing to do with the NRA. This has everything to do with a guy that's trying to play security cop who was unhinged, who chased down and shot a 17-year-old kid, armed with Skittles and iced tea.'"
Now, I know this man used to be a U.S. congressman so expectations should be low whenever he opens his mouth, but this is beyond stupid and offensive. And if George Zimmerman is never convicted of anything, it's also slanderous and actionable in a court of law.

What evidence does Scarborough have that George Zimmerman is or was "unhinged"? What evidence does he have that he "chased down and shot a 17-year-old kid"? As opposed to being sucker-punched, knocked to the ground, jumped upon shot in self defense?

There is evidence that somebody punched George Zimmerman in the nose. There is evidence that he has a wound on the back of his head consistent with his claim that he was knocked to the ground. There are apparently, according to police, eyewitnesses who put Trayvon Martin on top of George Zimmerman while Zimmerman screamed out for help.

But Joe Scarborough knows better, he and his MSNBC colleagues, Al Sharpton, Lawrence O'Donnell, Martin Bashir, et al. They assert as facts, things they have NO real idea about. They've attached themselves to a narrative that is getting less and less plausible as each day passes.

It's gotten to the point where Bashir showed a new video today that is supposed to show how uninjured Zimmerman was that night and suddenly, it clearly shows a nasty gash on the back of Zimmerman's head. What does Bashir do? He simply ignores it! Pretends it isn't there!

Check it out here. The shot of Zimmerman's head wound is clearly visible at right around the 3 minute mark. And the Bashir and his reporter continue to talk as if Zimmerman doesn't have a mark on him. It's astonishing!

It is incredibly likely that that crime scene photos were taken that night. Ballistics will tell investigators the the angle of the shot that killed Trayvon Martin and whether it is consistent or inconsistent with Zimmerman's story.

But there simply isn't enough evidence in the public square to definitely say the sort of things people like Scarborough are bloviating about. Reasonable people can and should ask questions about what happened that night. But any conclusions such as those drawn by Scarborough are ridiculously, ludicrously premature.

Read Bob Somerby's accounts of the ridiculous Bashir and the rest of these babbling fools. (Just keep scrolling.)

Scarborough blames "far right" wingers for the controversy and ignores the shameful behavior and conclusion jumping of his colleagues.

He says the trashing of Trayvon Martin is "disgusting" and "beneath contempt" and "shameful" by people "on the right" and "far right."

It is quite wrong to assume that because Trayvon Martin because he was suspended from school and may have taken a toke or two or was otherwise an imperfect 17-year-old deserved to die that night.

But if Scarborough wants shameful and disgusting he ought to just listen to himself and cringe.

What is shameful and disgusting is declaring a man guilty of a crime on national TV before he's ever been charged with anything.

Scarborough confidently predicts that Zimmerman's defenders "will look foolish in the end."

Maybe. But Scarborough looks foolish RIGHT NOW.  Actually, he looks worse than foolish. He looks maliciously stupid. He better hope Zimmerman is found guilty of something. If not he should find himself in court and/or out of a job.

Disgusting, shameful and beneath contempt well sum up Scarborough's conduct in this matter. He is far from alone.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

every stooge uses the first amendment to hide behind.

March 31, 2012 at 2:21 AM 
Blogger Bob Bohne said...

Cool heads certainly are not prevailing on either side of this issue, and that's a dangerous thing. There are some question's that I would like to have answered. What was the status of the Sanford Town Watch program? Was it a legally recognized program that provided some sort of training? Twenty some yrs ago, I was a member of the Toby Farms Town Watch. We met and had instructions from the Chester Twp. Police Dept. We certainly were not allowed to carry weapons of any kind, and anyone caught with a weapon would be expelled from the program. We had flashlights and walkie talkies. Period. And we were instructed NEVER to confront a suspect. They refer to Zimmerman as the "self appointed" leader of the Town Watch. Is this true? How much time had lapsed from the time that Zimmerman was instructed not to follow Martin, to the time of the altercation? Have the paramedics who treated Zimmerman been interviewed? That alone could put to rest any questions about injuries. Was the police work cosistant, thorough and professional? If not, what are the major issues with the investigation. And something else that I find disturbing. We all seem to agree that it's wrong and dangerous to fan the flames and make this a racial issue, but certain contributers to Spencerblog keep returning to the race issue.

March 31, 2012 at 7:51 AM 
Blogger Bob Bohne said...

And another question. Did Zimmermans father, who it turns out is an ex-judge, influence the decission not to charge Zimmerman with manslaughter?

March 31, 2012 at 9:22 AM 
Blogger Bob Bohne said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 31, 2012 at 9:22 AM 
Blogger Dannytheman said...

OK, let me get this straight. You are saying that IF you join a townwatch, you give up your constitutional RIGHT? That is what you said.

"We certainly were not allowed to carry weapons of any kind, and anyone caught with a weapon would be expelled from the program."

WOW, and you seem ok with that. as opposed to me, carrying a weapon almost all the time. And I have never shot anyone.

No one on the right is fanning any flames. And we are well over 35 days and no charges have levied.

Like Gil, I don't care if the kid smoked pot, I only care what the eyewitnesseS saw. The ballistics report will show the angle and distance that the gun was fired.

For a final add on, I want people to know that getting a License to Carry from Florida requires classroom training and live firing exercises. I also would ask most people to look into police use of force and see that in most cases a flurry of bullets were fired. In this case, one bullet was fired.

Zimmermans father has/had nothing to do with this case. Dumb question.

April 1, 2012 at 7:56 AM 
Blogger Bob Bohne said...

Danny - Don't be stupid. Do you carry a gun on an airplane? There are some situations that prohibit the posession of a gun. Here is a standard list of town watch rules. Simply put, if you insisted on carryiing a gun, you would not be permitted to participate on a town watch patrol.

1.Stay in your car while on patrol.
2.Do not check out doors, windows and other areas while on foot. Observe only.
3.Call in every suspicious activity, and let police decide the importance of the information.
4.Do not shine a light at any person or into the windows of any vehicle or occupied dwelling.
5.Do not become physically involved with any individual, except in self defense.
6.Do not get involved in any pursuit of vehicles or individuals.
7.Observe all traffic regulations. Townwatch cars are not emergency vehicles.
8.Patrol your area, including all paved alleys, construction sites, and parking lots slowly enough to be able to observe any activity taking place.
9.Unless your help is requested, let police, fire or emergency teams do their job. Resume your patrol.
10.Withdraw immediately when you see police officers with firearms or dogs.
11.Weapons are not allowed on Townwatch patrols. Pepper spray is permitted.
12.If a citizen asks you to identify yourself as a member of Tredyffrin Townwatch - use your Townwatch identification card. A friendly approach should be maintained at all times.

April 1, 2012 at 9:21 AM 
Blogger Bob Bohne said...

Danny - Dumb answer. Zimmermans father was an ex-judge who apparently has some money. Are you trying to tell me that power and influence never changed the outcome of a police investigation? Are you that stupid? I'm not saying that it happened that way, but it's a legitimate question. You claim to only want justice, but you're afraid to persue justice.

April 1, 2012 at 9:29 AM 
Blogger Dannytheman said...

Airplane? How do you do Townwatch duty from an airplane?

And yes, when I travel I check my weapon in my checked baggage, so when I arrive at my destination it is there with me. You see I am licensed to carry in 40 states in the supposed UNITED States.

I check my weapon at the court house when I go there. I follow all the laws. But if I am volunteering for Townwatch, I am armed. Pepper Spray?? I put that on my Italian Hoagies. Sinceyou can't leave your car, do you roll the window down first before spraying someone??

What a joke!!

April 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM 
Blogger Bob Bohne said...

Danny - Then I'd suggest that you start your own Town Watch program in Newtown Square that permits the carrying of firearms. You could call your group "The Newtown Square Vigilantes"

April 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM 
Blogger Dannytheman said...

I sure as heck would never join anything that takes away any of my rights as a citizen.

As I enjoy our first amendment right here on this blog, I enjoy my 2nd amendment right as I move about 4/5th of the free parts of the country.

So I have a scenerio? If I drive or walk around a neighborhood and I carry a weapon with me, am I breaking any laws? NONE. So why join a group when I am free to do as I please without being a member? Do you see how dumb that is??

You and I have to go over rights some day! I don't think you get what freedom means!

April 1, 2012 at 2:23 PM 
Blogger Bob Bohne said...

Danny, my White Irish Friend- I don't carry a gun because I don't live in fear. And not living in fear is what I call freedom.

April 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM 
Blogger Dannytheman said...

I live in fear?? Thanks for no penis jokes at least!

You and I have been through this before. Do you have a smoke detector in your home? Do you have a fire extinguisher? Are you fearful that your home will burn? No, it is simple prevention for the unexpected.

In the morning as I grab my keys, my wallet and my cell phone I, along with many, many others, place my holster on my belt. An ounce of prevention. Or 27 ounces in my case.

April 2, 2012 at 7:29 AM 
Blogger Bob Bohne said...

Good luck with that.

April 2, 2012 at 11:01 AM 
Blogger Bob Bohne said...

Try not to end up like Zimmerman.

April 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM 
Blogger Dannytheman said...

How about looking at this as what it is. A terrible tragedy!

A guy who volunteers to join his local Townwatch should be appreciated and according to his neighbors, was.
A 17 year old young man is killed for being semi stupid. Yes he was free to walk the neighborhood, but why didn't he call police for being followed? No, he chose freely to confront this issue directly. He took the law into HIS own hands, and people miss this aspect of the story!

April 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home