Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Primarily OK with Voter ID

Spent the morning and afternoon going from Middletown to Chester, talking to voters and election workers about the new voter ID law.

There didn't seem to be any problems and both voters and election workers liked the new requirement.

Here's a taste of tomorrow's column:
Florence Hasson was on her way out of the Edgemont building at the Madison Senior Apartments in Chester when a younger woman on her way in called out to her.
"Don't forget to vote," said the younger woman, smiling.
"Oh, I won't," replied Hasson heartily. "You can be sure of that."
She was in her wheelchair and about to be hoisted up into a Community Transit van when I caught up with her.
I asked her if she had a photo ID.
"I got everything," she said.          
But she wasn't on her way to vote. She had a doctor's appointment. Later, she said, they'd come back and pick up a bunch of her fellow residents and take them over to the polls.
She has a state ID, she said. And when it comes to voting, "I never had a problem," she said. She didn't expect any today.
I asked her if any of her friends had concerns about the new Voter ID law? 
"No," she replied. Everybody's got everything they need. Then off she went to the doctor. 
Monique Jackson is the property manager at the senior community. She said she hasn't heard anyone raise a concern about not having a photo ID. She said the residence council has been pretty much on top of the issue. Everybody who wants to vote, she said, would be picked up and taken to the polls.
Evelyn Martinez, however, hadn't made up her mind yet whether she would vote. Her main problem being she wasn't sure if she was registered as a Republican or a Democrat.
"I've always been a Democrat in the past," she recalled. "But everything's changing so fast these days."
The one thing she was sure of is that she has a state photo ID.
UPDATE: Here's the rest.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Rus said...

Also posted on Heron's nest that I voted today 2nd ward 2nd precinct in Marple twp just after 3:00. I was number 62. Those people must have been bored silly.
Offered my driver's license. She looked at it and handed it back. I signed my spot in the book and she asked if I had photo ID. I told her I had shown it to her and she apologized. I showed her again and all was well.
I always thank those good people after I vote. Without them I am not sure we would be able to do so.

April 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM 
Blogger Dannytheman said...

I voted at 7:20PM. I was only 154. I had my ID out and ready before they needed it. I also asked them if they had any problems with ID all day. They said all of the people were ready to show it.

April 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM 
Blogger Ludwig said...

Now need ID to prove, not to mention voters · · · · · · · · · · · ·, I'll vote!

April 25, 2012 at 4:02 AM 
Anonymous delcofrank said...

"U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has declared that there is no proof that in-person voter fraud is a problem."

But wait...

James O’Keefe’s Project Veritas demonstrates why Holder should stop attacking voter ID laws--by walking into Holder’s voting precinct and showing the world that anyone can obtain Eric Holder’s primary ballot.

Check it out:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/04/08/DC-Polling-Place-Holder-Ballot

April 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home