Monday, September 10, 2007

Don't Eat the Yellow Taxi

I must've heard the Counting Crows version of Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" a hundred times. I have it on a CD in my car. I like it. But some of the lyrics just crack me up.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away your DDT
I don't care about spots on my apples,
LEAVE me the birds and the bees...

And the mosquitoes and the malaria that kills more than a million African children a year.

And of course,

They paved paradise and put up a parkin' lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swingin' hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got till it's gone...

Yeah, no place to sleep, party or park.

No wonder Joni's "Old Man" and Adam Duritz' girlfriend took off in that Big Yellow Taxi. They got tired of being sung to and lectured by imbeciles.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My personal favorite "interesting lyrics" are from Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin Somehin." The end is:

"You’re a vegetable
(You’re a vegetable)
You’re a vegetable
(You’re a vegetable)
Still they hate you
(Still they hate you)
You’re a vegetable
You’re just a buffet
You’re a vegetable
They eat off of you
You’re a vegetable"

Full Lyrics

September 10, 2007 at 4:03 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am tired of being sung to and lectured by imbeciles.

And you should stop giving money to the enemy.

September 10, 2007 at 6:10 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home