Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Sestak v. Specter Latest

Excellent piece in today's paper by Alex Rose about Joe Sestak's quest for a U.S. Senate seat.

A couple of highlights:

His desire to run despite the fact that the entire Democratic establishment is against his running:
“It comes from the military, a meritocracy and any idea of kings or king makers is anathema to that culture,” said Sestak. “I have the greatest respect for President Obama, and the entire Washington political establishment — in fact, I’m running fully in support of President Obama’s agenda.”
Sestak brings up his military background just about every time he's asked a question about anything.

Q: "Congressman, what do you think of the Phillies chances this year?

A: "The team reminds me of when I wore our nation's cloth, commanding a battle group during the war in Afghanistan. Baseball is a meritocracy. Just like the military in which I served. The lead-off hitter, Johnny Rollings, isn't annoited by king makers. He wins the job on the field of battle. That's how the Democratic primary should be."

“I love my current job and it is where I thought I would be just a few months ago, (but) I believe that many people feel like I do, that we want a say in who our nominee will be,” said Sestak.


Translation: "That nominee should be ME!"
“Everybody ought to run if he or she wants to run,” Specter told “Fox News Sunday” when asked about Sestak’s likely candidacy. “And I’m ready to take on all comers.”


Translation: "Please, Please, Please stay out of this race, Joe. Pretty please with a cherry on top. Otherwise, I WILL CRUSH YOU."
“Politically Uncorrected” column authors Dr. G. Terry Madonna, professor of public affairs at Franklin & Marshall College, and Dr. Michael Young, managing partner of Michael Young Strategic Research, agreed with Rendell’s assessment.



According to the pair’s most recent column, Sestak might end up “less the prospective giant killer and more the kamikaze mission recruit.”
Joe is no recruit. He is a volunteer. Actually, he is worse. He's flying without orders from the high command. Ed Rendell has been sent out to shoot him down.
“He’d get killed,” said Rendell. “Joe should run for Congress again, establish some seniority. … His time will come, but it’s not this year.”

Translation: "His time will come, when WE say it will come."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Sestak can't WIN, why are the Big Wig Dems so afraid to have him run? And why are the Dems-on-the-street supposed to be so happy to embrace Arlen?

June 4, 2009 at 3:18 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Sestak runs it will cost the party over $10 million dollars that it won't have to fight Toomey or other Senate races in other states.

Sestak's the one that expected to be anointed and have a coronation. Now, he's acting like a little high school girl that didn't get picked to be prom queen because people liked the new transfer student.

June 5, 2009 at 10:38 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Joe Sestak. I was one of his earliest supporters in DELCO. I believe he is doing a wonderful job representing us in the house of reps. While I think he is the most qualified person for the job, I can't help but think representing the 7th is where he belongs...for now. I think he knows that is where he belongs. I think Arlen's move caught him by surprise (as it did the rest of us).

Perhaps if Joe had been more out front about his intentions all along, Specter might not have jumped and been embraced. Joe getting upset and speaking up AFTER Specter's move, in my opinion, makes it look like he wanted a coronation, wanted people to ask him to run; Arlen fessed up first and messed up his plan, I guess.

I think Joe should stay where he is, but be ready because six years is a long term...not sure Arlen has it left.

June 6, 2009 at 8:38 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home