Monday, March 1, 2010

E-Mail of the Week

Received this e-mail in response to my column about the Pa. Human Relations Commission and its campaign to encourage businesses to hire of minority ex-cons:
Dear Gil,

I read your column about the PHRC. This subject hits home with me. My son is an ex-con who is currently searching for a job. It is already difficult for him to find work but when the PHRC tries to add pressure to potential employers to hire minority ex-cons over someone like my son who is caucasian and did time for something non-violent. I am not suggesting that someone like my son be given a chance simply because he is *white* but on the other hand shouldn't be eliminated from consideration because he is.

In your opinion column you wrote that *there are plenty of business owners in this country willing to take a chance on giving an ex-con a *job. If you wouldn't mind would you please help and provide a list to my son and I of these business owners especially if any of them are around here. I know if you did provide a list it would be for informational purposes only and wouldn't imply whether you supported or didn't support the hiring of ex-cons.

Thanks, Pat
My response:

Pat,

There is no such list. The way I know that there are plenty of business owners who are willing to hire ex-cons is that numerous ex-cons have found employment in the last 5, 10, 20, 50 years. Also when I wrote not too long ago about a guy who had a gun conviction on his record who needed a job, I heard from several people willing to give him a chance.

The PHRC doesn't argue white ex-cons should be eliminated from consideration for work, only that they have no course for legal action if they are.

It is a tough time to be looking for work for anyone, let alone if you have a criminal record. Being willing to hire ex-cons and actually having the jobs available are two distinctly different things.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Gil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home