Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Meanwhile, Over the Border in Philly...

Recognizing that the city vote was going to be important to Sen. Arlen Specter's chances to defeat Joe Sestak in today's primary, I went down to West Philadelphia this morning to check out a couple of polling places.

Chester Walker, 62, was coming out of the Walnut Park Plaza on his Jazzy scooter, heading up the street to the Walnut Care Pavilion to vote. (Odd that, since there was a polling place in his own building.)

Sporting a "Yes We Can" cap with a photo of President Obama on it, Walker said he planned to vote for Specter.

"I think Specter is my man," he said. "He's been doing good for the people. I don't know nothin' about that other guy... Even when he (Specter) was with the Republicans he was doing good for people."



However, Drucilla McLaughlin, a elderly resident at the Walnut Care Pavilion, said she was going with Sestak.

"I like Sestak. He always does what he says he's gonna' do," she said.

And Specter?

"He's OK. He's a Republican isn't he?"

Used to be.

Meanwhile, shivering outside Walnut Park Plaza, Democratic committeeman Robert King said action at the polls had been "very slow." As for Specter's chances, he said, "I don't know. We can't tell nothin' yet. We can't open the machines." But, he added, "seems like Specter is doing good. I think a lot of people would like to see him win."

Asked if he ever voted for Specter when he was a Republican, King replied. "I might have."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home