Monday, September 27, 2010

Beware the Ginger Snap!

So says 77-year-old Mary Jane Birkofer of Brookhaven in this e-mail:
I had a recent experience with Sweetzels, the cookies were too hard & crisp and did not soften when dipped in milk. I called Sweetzels and was given a refund but no reason for the problem. On Fri. Sept. 24th I bought Ivins and had the same problem. I called 1-877-932-7948, the number on box. Info on box is SuperValu Inc., Eden Prairie, MN 55344. I was told that they would look into problem and contact National Brands and have them call me. National Brands called and I was shocked to find out they have had several complaints and were trying to remove Ivins from the store shelves because of possible choking on the hard crumbs. They imply that they are overcooked and are manufactured by same baker that makes Sweetzels. My concern was that if I gave a child one of these spiced wafers they could choke or possibly die. God forbid I would have offered one to 2 small children next door. This is Halloween time and all school children look forward to treat of cider and spiced wafers. I suggested that National Brands put ads in local papers and on store shelves place a warning but would be best to remove all wafers from store shelves until a change is made. Ivins' are sold at Acme and Sweetzels at Pathmark, Giant and I don't know where else. I realize that Spiced Wafers are a very local Fall & Halloween treat. In fact my sister lives in Ala. and last season I sent Ivins to her (her choice), she too said they aren't the same as years ago. We are 77 yrs. of age and remember all the happy times at Halloween time and guess we just want todays children to enjoy the treat also. I also suggested that local TV stations could investigate this and report to the public if this is really a serious problem. Thanks for any attention you give this matter.

Mary Jane Birkofer
So there! You've been given fair warning. If you don't want to risk choking and possbily DYING, chew your ginger snap 100 times. Or better yet, go with a nice big piece of soft, moist carrot cake. It has that delicious cinnamon flavor too without the risk of hard crumbs that might KILL YOU or a loved one.

5 Comments:

Blogger steve mcdonald said...

I grew up enjoying those spiced wafers - today I drink the liquid version - Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale!

September 27, 2010 at 11:42 AM 
Blogger Spencerblog said...

Whatever you do, don't complain about it not tasting like last year's at Quotations!

September 27, 2010 at 12:48 PM 
Blogger steve mcdonald said...

Bad batch at Quotations, Gil?

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin is really good - there's also a good one out of Allentown - Fegley's Brew Works, that puts out a sharp counterpart in "Devious" - I've seen it on the shelves at Pinocchio's and Wegman's.

September 28, 2010 at 8:35 AM 
Blogger Spencerblog said...

Tasted fine to me. But my friend Mike Burke does not appreciate complaints and he will fire customers with the best of them.

September 28, 2010 at 9:04 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these cookies so much! Actually, I think a couple of years ago there was a batch that got over baked and I called and they promptly apologized and sent me a refund (I didn't even ask for one). Since then, they've been back to where I remember them as a child! Chill out lady, no need to sound any alarms!!!
Long live the Spiced Wafer!!!
(Philly native)

September 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home