Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Matt Scott Rocks! GQ, Not So Much

Last week, we reported on GQ magazine's inaccurate trashing of Philly sports fans. It included the claim that America's first hand transplant recipient was booed for dribbling a ceremonial first pitch to home plate.

He wasn't and he didn't. New Jersey's Matt Scott threw a high strike and was cheered by a huge Opening Day crowd. He remembers it fondly and well. He thinks the world of Phillies fans. He's one of them.

Meanwhile, GQ and the author of it's snide little hit piece have refused to admit to their mistake, preferring to whitewash it instead.

My print column is up.

UPDATE: An email from a young reader:
Mr. Spencer,

First off, I am actually emailing you from my phone in school. I'm a junior
at (name withheld) high school. I'm not suppose to be doing this but I
could not wait to write to you. The article about GQ in Wednesday march 23rd
was brilliant. As a philly sports fan, I usually enjoy not being liked by
the majority of people around the country. The only thing that bothers me is
when the media exaggerates or in this case makes up stories about us for
negative attention. I really enjoyed reading that you tried several times to
let GQ know that they messed up. And the fact that they changed it but never
replied is great because they probably felt so embarassed being the high
profile company they are. With that being said, reading this article made my
morning and killed about a solid half hour of class.

Thanks,


(Name withheld to protect the guilty)
Of course, this young man ought to be ashamed for not paying attention to what I'm sure was a very important class. But at least he risked detention in pursuit of reading high quality journalism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home