"We tried something,” said (district finance officer Ken) King. “We tried to be liberal. And when we talked about it, we wanted the kids fed.”So, now they're talking about actually denying children the lunches they need to get through the day - unless they PAY FOR THEM. School lunches should be a RIGHT, not a privilege for the wealthy few.
But King and the board say that students’ families have taken advantage of the district (to the tune of $37,000) and are now “bleeding” the district.
This is an OUTRAGE and it will not stand. Our group Occupy Interboro for Nutrition, Kids (OINK) will be taking over lunchrooms across the district starting tomorrow morning.
Our demands are as follows:
1. A school lunch debt forgiveness program to be instituted immediately.OINK is prepared to Occupy Interboro for as long as it takes our demands to be met. Come stand, sit and lie down with us for justice.
2. Only locally grown, organic food served in every lunchroom
3. "Vegans Only" eating sections.
4. More diversity among the lunchroom staff.
5. Free desserts with whipped cream and a cherry on top.
6. Ken King's head.