Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Meanwhile, at the Car Wash...

Work has been off at the B&T car wash and detailing shop on 9th Street since they closed the road for repair work on the bridge. It's been months.

"It's slow right now," said George Clark who has worked here for years.

I asked him if was going to vote today.

"I'm not much of a voter," he replied. I asked him why. "I'm just not that into it." Besides "Whoever is going to win is going to win. My vote ain't gonna' mean nothing."

Marvin Neal is working on a beautiful metalic gray Cadillac SRX Crossover. He's been washing and detailing cars for 17 years - six years here. He's not much of a voter either but he's thinking of voting today.

"I'm going to go over and try to shoot for what's his name, the son of the judge?"

What about for mayor?

"Wendell's the man" says Neal. "He's done a lot." But, "I might give Linder a shot." He hasn't decided yet.

"It don't matter. As long as someone does something positive." Either way, he says, it isn't going to affect him much.

Lee Brown, 36, feels the same way. No, he hasn't voted.

"I've been busy," he said. He's been here, waiting for another car to pull in. "There's bills to be paid."

Sitting on a bench, waiting for the Caddy is Felicia Goldsborough. She works at Crozer Chester Medical Center in the psych department. She's not voting either. She doesn't live in Chester anymore. But she wouldn't vote even if she could.

"I don't vote. It's part of my religion." She's a Muslim and she's wearing the burqa to prove it. "We don't believe in those type of (political) systems."

You mean democracy? I ask.

"That's right. It doesn't work," she said. "They make a lot of plans and programs and promises, they implement a few and they realized they don't work until we're 15 years in..."

She's got a point. The reason she moved out of Chester was because the schools were so bad. She homeschooled her daughter through 8th grade and then got her into a charter school in the Philly. A couple of years ago she moved down to Delaware so her daughter could go to a better public school there. Her name is Tyche and she's doing great.

As for her, she must be doing pretty well too. I nod at the Caddy. That's a sweet ride.

Felicia smiles.

"That's a rental," she says. "My own car's down, in the shop. I can't afford that. I'm in nursing school."

I ask about her burqa.

"Don't you get hot in that thing."

Not at all, she replies. And especially not when she considers, "the blessings it brings me." She says it keeps her modest and humble.

It's Election Day in the city of Chester and Felicia Goldsborough has already voted - with her feet.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's detailing her cadillac rental because her cars in the shop ? What?

November 8, 2011 at 1:47 PM 
Blogger Spencerblog said...

Just a wash.

November 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM 
Anonymous defense attorney Delaware said...

People of any religion or faith are entitled to their own opinion. Regarding the system, nothing is absolute, there are things that work, there are things that need working on. Although voting is essential, religion has a higher power sometimes for certain individuals.

November 9, 2011 at 3:17 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home