Friday, December 16, 2011

Live from Dauphin County Courthouse...

The courtroom is packed. And we're ready to go. All we need are the defendants, their lawyers, and the judge.

UPDATE: Gary Schultz and Tim Curley just came in with their lawyers, Tom Farrell and Caroline Roberto.

UPDATE: We're getting our instructions on how to behave from a sherriff's deputy. I forget to silence my cell phone. . Good thing he reminded us. That could have been very embarrassing.

UPDATE: Here comes the judge... William Wenner

UPDATE: And here comes Mike McQueary the Commonwealth's first witness. Dark suit, blue tie. Nice tie. Quietly he agrees to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

UPDATE: AG Dep. Bruce Beemer is taking McQueary through his background. Penn State grad. Football player. Grad assistant.

UPDATE: McQueary describes the Lasch Building, and how it houses the whole Penn State football program. Beemer asked about March 1 2002.

He was home watching a football movie and was motivated to do some work, watch some football films and put his new sneakers in his locker.

Drove 8 minutes to the Lasch building. Parked car, went to the support staff lockerroom.

Q. Do the locker rooms include shower facilites.
A. Yes...

Q. What did you do when you entered the lockerroom. Describe what happend

A. When I opened that first door, I heard rythmic slaps. Skin on skin. Embarrassed. I was on alert. I turned my locker immediately to the right. I looked over my right shoulder into the mirrors and from a 45 degree angle you can see right into the showers.

UPDATE: Beemer is asking about him knowing Jerry Sandusky.

Describe what transpired.

A. Saw Jerry with a boy in the shower. Directly behind the boy. And very hurriedly and in hastened state and shocked, and then stepped to the right of my locker to make sure I saw what I think I saw with my own eyes.

Q. Describe




A. The boy was up against the wall. facing the wall, and his hands
and jerry was directly behind him with his hand wrapped around him. And it appeared I said to myself they were in a sexually oriented position. Some sort of sexual intercourse... I did not see any insertion. Nor did I hear any protest or screams.

But that's what I believed was occurring.

Q Was there any question in my mind that Jerry Sandusky was in the shower with a boy.
A. No.

UPDATE: Body movement. Slow. Not hard or fast movement.
Q. The rhythmic slapping sounds
A. No all that I heard was the showers running.

Q Did you hear at any point Jerry Sandusky say anything.
A. No.

Q. The boy say anything
A. No.

What did you believe you were witnessing.

A. Jerry molesting the boy.
Q. In what way.
A. Having some sort of sexual intercourse with him.

More McQueary: I stepped back, didn't want to see any more, slammed my locker shut and then took a more brisk forward movement toward the shower and looked in again. By then they had separated.

UPDATE:

Q.
A. I know they saw me. They looked directly in my eye... Seeing they were separated, I thought it was best to leave the lockerroom and I left.

Q. How were feeling at that time.
A. Not very good, shocked, horrified. Not thinking straight. I was distraught.

UPDATE: Upon leaving. Went to his office and called his father.
Q. What was the purpose of calling him.
A. I didn't really know what to do. Wanted to get advice from someone I respected.

Q. What did you tell him.
A. What I saw was wrong and sexual and I needed some advice quickly. He told me to come home. He asked me if I was OK. And he said come over here and talk to me.

Q. At any point did you go back to the lockerroom.
A. No, I did not.

Q. Did you see after that Jerry Sandusky or this boy.
A. No, I did not.

The whole thing to less than 10 minutes.

UPDATE: Drove to his father's house.
Q. Any decision as to what to do that night.
A. It was to call Joe Paterno and tell him what I saw.

Got up the next morning called his house and told him I needed to see him. Told him that I saw Jerry

it was way over the lines, it was extremely sexual in nature and that I thought I needed to tell him about it. The rough positioning but not in very much detail.

Q. Make it clear the acts you observed were sexual.
A. Without a doubt.

He said he wouldn't have used terms like sodomy or anal rape to Coach Paterno, "out of respect."

McQueary: I saw something outrageous and terrible and he, as head of the program, needed to know about it.

He was shocked and saddened. Slumped back in his chair. He said I'm sorry you had to see that. I need to think and tell some people about what you saw.

Did he have any comment. You've done the right thing. I know it's tough to come here and tell me this but you've done the right thing.

UPDATE: Questions go on to his meetings with Athletic Director Tim Curley and VP Gary Schultz.

Q: How long before you were contacted.
A. Nine or 10 days.
Q. Set up a time where I would meet with them.

Met in the Bryce Jordan Center.

Mr. Curley said they needed to know the details of it and wanted me to talk through it with them.

I told them I saw Jerry in the showers. What I saw was extremely sexual, over the lines, and wrong. Very close proximity, Jerry was behind the boy with his arms wrapped around him. And heard rythmic slapping. I would not have used the words that you mentioned before but that it was extremely sexual.

Q. Were you Informed at that meeting by Curley or Shultz that Sandusky had been previously investigated.
A. No, I was not.

Q. What did you take away from that meeting.
A. They said they would investigate it or look into it. And they would.

A. I thought I was talking to the head of the police. In my mind it was like speaking to a DA. It was someone who the police reported to and would know what to do with it.

Q. Any follow up.
No follow up until October or November of last year.

A Mr. Curley called me and have looked into it and gave me an explanaition of some things they had done and were going to do.

A. Said they had contacted the second mile. And told Jerry not to have any more of the kids around the program or around the facilities.

A. I accepted what he had told me and said OK.

Q. After that phone call. Did Mr. Curley ever speak to you again about what you had seen. Not to talk to anybody about it.
A. No.

As for Jerry Sandusky still being allowed around the facilities after that. McQueary says, "Personally, found it troubling and not right... That it was severe sexual acts going on and that it was wrong and over the line."

As for the Second Mile charity.

"To me he Jerry was the Second Mile. It was his pride and joy."

1 Comments:

Blogger Bob Bohne said...

Nice Tie? LOL.

December 16, 2011 at 10:43 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home