Sunday, January 15, 2012

Is There Any Replacing Him?

Folcroft police and the Mackey family lose a loved one - a bomb-sniffing dog named Logan. My print column is up.

UPDATE: I just received this email:
Greetings Gil
After reading your story on Mackey & his dog’s unfortunate situation, I had to add to your observations.  I was Gene’s supervisor for those years on our prison’s working dog unit.  During that time I saw Gene strive to become a first class dog handler.  He always bonded with his assigned dogs, and most of the other compliment we maintained, better than some of the other handlers.  I guess he could relate on their level, which is not a bad thing.  He did possess an uncanny ability to recognize when one of our animals was in distress or about to become seriously ill before most others.  Many a night I was awakened by a phone call from Gene letting me know he was enroute to the animal emergency hospital with a dog that just didn’t look right….and he was always right – Gene Mackey was responsible for saving many of our working dogs because they were treated promptly and efficiently thanks to his intuitions.  I have yet to see any other dog handler with that unique ability.  I still miss Gene’s sense of humor and his talent.  I hope that the funding for another working dog can be raised so that Gene can continue to perform as a professional dog handler for the citizens of Folcroft and Delaware County – he very well deserves it. 
         John Miller 
         K-9 Lieutenant
         G.W. Hill Correctional Facility

Mackey mentioned Miller when I spoke with him and how much he learned from him. I'm sure he'll appreciate his kind words.

2 Comments:

Blogger CharlieSix said...

You've done it again, as you have a number of times in the past, providing an article that one cannot get more than half way through without welling up with tears... Sincere thanks for sharing this story...

January 15, 2012 at 7:57 PM 
Blogger Dannytheman said...

I'll bet this guy is a GREAT father as well! His animal loving instincts were passed on to his daughters, and even a dog, overwhelmed in pain, could feel it!

Nice story!

January 16, 2012 at 8:22 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home