Sunday, March 11, 2012

Are America's Public Schools Racist?

That's one interpretation of new government data from the U.S. Department of Education on  punishment rates for minorities.

There's another. My print column is up.

UPDATE: Winner of the Best Comment So Far goes to tom19061:
When I was a child in Catholic school, the boys were disciplined much more harshly than the girls. I got beat with brass rulers, wooden pointers etc.. There wasn't a bias, the boys acted up! When I got home and told my parents, they didn't march to the school and berate the teacher, they beat me again! There were over 50 kids in my class and I got an excellent education. As far as the state of education today, we lost the church/school/family dynamic that existed in parishes throughout cities in America. My parents took me to church on Sunday, met with my teachers after Mass and discussed my development. If we didn't attend church and contribute to the church and school, we weren't welcome to attend school. If I didn't perform or act appropriately, I was told that my option was public school. When the Catholic education system left the cities, the churches were bought up by minority denominations but they neglected to buy the school house next door. That left the children without guidance and the only option is/was public school. The minority community needs to educate their own, just as the Polish, the Italians, the Irish, the Ukranians, the Greeks and all the rest did before them. This is a Black problem that needs to be addressed by Blacks. "
I say whites can help by supporting charter schools and school choice but it's hard to disagree with anything else.

UPDATE II: I wonder how long it took him to learn NOT to tell his parents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home