Sunday, August 19, 2012

Chester Township vs. Prattis

In the battle between Angela Prattis, a free-lunch-giving mother of four, and the Chester Township Board of Supervisors, the powers that be are looking a bunch of mellon heads.
We seem to have gotten to the point in history where every act of private charity, no matter how small, has to be approved of and taxed by some government board.
My print column is up.

UPDATE: Comment of the Day from Tollie Mitchell:
Someone called me who used to work with this woman. I cant tell you the name of my source, but they said that she hasnt paid taxes for 10 years. We must stop her because it's not right for black folks to look after their own. They need smart white people to take care of them and tell them how to live. The next thing you know, they could get uppity and start voting for Republicans.
Heh.

But I understand Prattis is a Democrat. Even so, we need more like her.

2 Comments:

Blogger jake said...

Gil.
I'm going to respectfully disagree. These free lunch handouts are not an appropriate activity for a residential neighborhood.
Angela Prattis's charitable efforts are admirable, but she should take it back to the church. She moved the lunch service to her home, for her convenience. I don't see that being particularly neighborly.
Suppose I wanted to work on my car or my house. Living next to Ms Prattis, I could not do so without being concerned about the kids and strangers she had invited into the neighborhood. She is imposing on my right to peaceably enjoy my home.
Township officials may have been ham-handed, but they are correct. One person's crusade, no matter how well-intentioned, should not impact other people's privacy or well-being.
Here's a wild idea -- don't do anything that everybody else couldn't also do. If Ms Prattis is going to represent a Catholic charity, my suggestion is she try to follow the Golden Rule.

August 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM 
Blogger CharlieSix said...

Sure wish it wasn't necessary for you to publish the update from Tollie Mitchell. Such a sad, sad commentary about what the state of our discourse has become.

August 20, 2012 at 8:33 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home